Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sexy, Sassy, Smart and Single in Salt Lake

Welcome to my blog. First, a little about myself. I was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah as a part of the predominate religion in Utah, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I was the second of four girls in our family, with no brothers and I was the “good child”.

Growing up, I did everything that I thought my parents wanted me to do. I went to school, had good friends, got involved in extra-curricular activities including music, theater, peer leadership. Additionally, I attended and was heavily involved in church activities. I held several youth leadership positions in the church and went to all my meetings possible.

I was the first, and only child in my family to graduate from High School with the rest of my class and went on to attend Southern Utah University (SUU) on a full music scholarship. After three years at SUU I decided to go on a mission for the LDS church. The day after my 21st birthday I entered the Missionary Training Center and continued on to serve an 18 month mission in Germany. Following my mission I returned to SUU and completed my degree and received a Bachelors of Science in Music Education.

During all of the time mentioned above I was a strong, confident, intelligent young woman. . Additionally, from the age of 16 until the age of 24 I went on a grand total of 2 dates, both of which were to girls choice dances. No, that isn’t a typo and yes, you did read that correctly, TWO dates.

After college I was working for three companies all at the same time, two of which were temp agencies and one was a night job. At my night job I met and started dating a guy a couple of years my younger. I, having no dating experience at all, fell instantly, madly and deeply in love. I had my first kiss when I was 24 by him and also lost my virginity to him. He meant the world to me and I really loved him, all the time knowing that he was already married.

That relationship lasted about as long as such a relationship can last with me heart broken when he moved back in with his wife.

Shortly after the end of that relationship I met and fell in love with another man over the internet, a Welshman. I moved to the UK, he was baptized and we were married a few months later. We were later sealed for “time and all eternity” in the LDS temple in London. During our time in the UK I was diagnosed with depression and even had a suicide attempt. I was not happy, we both assumed it was because I was away from my family so, after two and a half years in the UK we moved back to the US.

Life in the US started looking very good for the two of us. We both were able to secure very good jobs and were happy with our careers. We were unable to conceive a child and went through a couple of rounds of fertility treatments, also with no success. But we still seemed, appeared, and I even thought, we were happy.

One day, unexpectedly, we were suddenly the parents of three children, two girls and a boy, then ages 9, 5 and 4. We bought a new car and a new home to accommodate the children and we still seemed, appeared, and I even thought we were happy.

But, we weren’t. My husband had fallen in love with another woman. And informed me that he had actually, never really loved me. We went our separate ways in October of 2007 and our divorce was finalized in October 2008.

Shortly after our separation I met and fell in love with another man. Yes, I know, I fall in love too easily. Sorry, I can’t help it. This man, once described me as being “sexy, sassy and smart”. I, of course, loved this description of me, and have now adopted it for myself. This relationship, too ended.

So, here I am, for the first time in my life, realizing my single-hood. And here is my blog exploring all things that are Alison.

All posts dated prior to this one have been imported from various other places and sites.

1 comment:

  1. I love my blog for keeping in touch with family news.
    The glorious British wweather probably didn't help whilst you were here.I am going to get a SAD light box this year AND spend as much of the winter as I can on holiday in sunny places!
    Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete