Friday, September 11, 2009

Sam I Am

Facebook quizzes: the things we all hate to love. What better way to waste some time than to answer silly questions filled with poor grammar, bad spelling and pure idiocy? I took one a few weeks ago in which it asked what my favorite food was. Among the choices were Ramen, pasta or Flamen Yawn. I've had a Flamen Yawn before, let me tell you, watch out if you're any where near me when I have one of those!

I took one recently where purpose was to determine which Dr. Seuss character I am most like. Oh, there are so many good ones to choose from: Yertle the Turtle, perhaps, the one who forces everyone to do exactly as he pleases. Or perhaps the Cat in the Hat - fun, adventurous, spontaneous, always up for doing something exciting. Maybe even the Grinch - a cold, icy exterior who just needs a little lovin' to loosen up. But NOOOO...who do I pull? I pull none other than Sam I Am.

Green Eggs and Ham, was, admittedly one of my favorite Seuss books as a child, but when you start describing the character of Sam I Am, he is less than flattering; The little, annoying friend who wants you to try something and just won't drop it. He keeps pushing it and pushing it until he literally, pushes you over the edge and into the ocean.

Fabulous! This is just the type of person I want to be. Especially as a single woman, just the type of female a man wants to be around. Interpret this into relationshipese: Nagging, nagging, and nagging. Hooray! I always claimed to not be a nag and here is this infallible facebook quiz telling me I am just that!

So I tried to put a positive spin on it, if that's possible. Sam I Am is the little guy who knows that what he has is fabulous and doesn't want his good friend to miss out on the fabulousness (is that a word?) of green eggs and ham. Perhaps THAT is me. Perhaps, when it comes to dating, I know that I'm an amazingly, brilliant catch and I don't want the particular man I'm dating at the time to miss out on all of MY fabulousness. So I'm persistent, I'm a go getter. I know what it is that I want and I go out and get it. HA! If only that were true.

In fact, the exact opposite is true when it comes to relationships. I typically let the man steer it all. Whatever he wants, however he wants it to be I comply with his wishes. I may despise it the entire time, but I still comply. I can't even begin to list all of the many, many, many times I've done things for a man or the sake of a relationship which I knew I didn't want to do but did anyway. Why is it that I'm so compliant when it comes to men and relationships?

During the last days prior to the divorce these became more and more current happenings; it was an effort to save my marriage. I saw it slipping further and further away from healthy and knew not what else to do so I complied with many things which I shouldn't have. Looking back now, I know that it was because although the relationship wasn't at all healthy, it was at least a relationship and the unknown out there could be oh, so much worse. "At least," I would rationalize, "he isn't hitting me and that he is, really a good man. So what if he doesn't love me, the next man may hit me or my kids or do even worse." Yes, I did tell myself those things over and over again. Silly girl, I know.

After that relationship ended, I vowed "never again". I would never again compromise myself or my values. Yes, I know I have to make compromises in a relationship but that is far, far different from compromising one’s self. And yet, I continue to make similar mistakes.

Even when I know the guy isn't interested in me I continue to spend time and energy pursuing him. I have never, once, to this day ended a relationship on my terms. I've known they were ending, but never actually done the ending myself. I've always left it up to him to do. Because what if I'm wrong? What if I'm reading his signals wrong? What if he really is just really busy right now and once he isn't so busy he'll make time for me? What if, what if, what if?

I think, ultimately, and this goes back to a common theme in many of my posts, that I am really just scared of being alone. I think that a part of me is willing to put up with bad behavior, with bad manners, with lack of interest or intent because I'm afraid that if I don't that's all that I'll get, that nothing better is going to come along.

And another quick topic: What’s up with all the blackheads on my face these days? GRRR!

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this Alison - but y'know there are WORSE things than being alone, truly there is and one of those is being lonely but not alone and in poor relationships you can feel more lonely than alone - that's my piece of percieved wisdom for this evening..and, oh just thought of somethng else - once i had got over the fear of being alone, it wasn't so scary...it does still upset me sometimes but not as much as being married to an arsehole would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you! You are so great. You are an amazing writer, too. I still want to get together for lunch sometime. I leave for Ireland next Thursday,but let's go when I get back. I would love to see you!!
    Megan Keeney

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Gil on being married to an arsehole.....it is so not worth it!
    Anyway, I am happily resigned to the fact that it would have to be a pretty special someone who wanted me and Niamh.So until the time my Prince comes along(or even doesn't come along!)I am content and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete