Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Trek to the 5K

I'm going to run a 5K this year, damnit! I've been going to the gym about 5 times a week for the last 6 weeks and running, on average, about 2.5 miles. Now, I say running, but what I really mean is moving my arms and legs comparatively fast while on an elliptical. I've been told that this is very, very different from street running so I decided to concede and start today training by street running.

My 5K debut is going to May 15, 2010. Keeping that in mind, I have just under two months to train for this 5K. I have, since January 1, 2010 dropped a total of 34 pounds and lowered my BMI by 5.1 points. WOOT! Give it up for me. But, I still have a long way to go to be my goal weight. However, I believe, this is only 5K and even I, who is medically defined as obese can do a 5K, right?

So, I mapped out my round trip course around my neighborhood, changed into my gym clothes plus a jumper to keep me warm (Jumper = sweatshirt for those who don't speak British)and headed off.

Holy FUCK! I'm a terrible runner! Why did I not realize that I'm such a shitty runner? Ahh...I DID realize this. Thus the reason I've never really been a runner before. As soon as I set off I realized my body was all tense "relax" I kept telling myself over and over. "Don't over do it. This is just your first time running since, um the 10th grade - 1990 - 20 years ago - and you were a shitty runner back then too, remember?" "Keep breathing. Relax your stride." etc. I think all the calming talk stressed me out even more. Add to that the fact that I have terrible balance - I can fall over just by walking - in flat shoes - across flat land - with no cracks or bumps - and you can imagine how incredible I looked.

I ran about .2 miles before needing a break. Stellar, I know. And then I continued to alternate walking and running. This is good, I know. During one of my walking stretches a very attractive and VERY fit man goes jogging past me, kitted out in his top of the line running gear - compared to my oversized shorts (due to the weightloss) oversized jumper (due to my not being able to find another clean one today) and over-old running shoes (due to the fact that I'm about as broke as can be right now and can't afford new shoes). He looks over at me, gives me the thumbs up and says "great job!" HA What a nice guy.

Well, needless to say, I didn't run the full 3.1 miles today. I did, probably just under half. My body hurts worse than 2.5 - 3 miles on the elliptical and so do my lungs. Those silly machines are made to deceive us into believe we're making good progress...just like in the 80's and 90's when clothes makers started making womens clothes bigger with the same sizes on them...it's all deception I tell you.

But, here's the thing. I'm going to do this! I know that I can do it! I may be slow and it may be painful, but it's going to happen. I'm going to give myself the opportunity to build up to what I want to do and not let it overwhelm me.

If you're looking to start running as well, here's a site I'm using to help me out.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

Just FYI, I'd LOVE to have anyone and all of you join me for the run. Like I said, if I can do it, anyone can!!

3 comments:

  1. I will join you!! I need to start training for the Wasatch Back. And,then we can catch up.
    Megan K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I have one joiner! Give me a call. I'll send you my phone number through Face Book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAY TO GO MY LIL SIS. I AM SO SO PROUD OF YOU FOR TRYING TO GET INTO SHAPE. i HAVE BEEN WORKING OUT SINCE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, AND THIS FAR HAVE LOST NADA!!!! BUT I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING A COLD FOR ABOUT 5 WEEKS, AND HAVE AN EXCHANGE STUDENT FROM JAPAN AT MY HOME WHICH IS CUTTING INTO MY WORK OUT SCHEDULE,(EXCUSES EXCUSES) BUT I DO FEEL MORE FIT AND TIGHTER. BEST OF LUCK KEEP IT UP =0)

    ReplyDelete